Tuesday, December 30, 2014

I'll bring cheese straws...

I'm not sure if Cheese Straws are a Southern thing... I do know that Paula Deen, Trisha Yearwood, Deep South Dish and Mama all make them roughly the same way.  Martha Stewart's recipe is different...(just saying). Everyone loves Mama's, so I began trying to make them, too.  People gobble them up and they make fantastic gifts.  So.... if you need something tasty and easy for New Year's Eve, try these!



Miss Elsie's Cheese Straws

1 stick butter                                                                    1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 pound sharp cheddar cheese, grated                          1/2 tsp salt
2 cups plain flour                                                             



Bring butter and cheese to room temperature.  Using a large mixing bowl, mix them well then add dry ingredients.  Make in any shape desired - (we use the star tip on a cookie press to make long strips, then cut them to the desired length  with a sharp knife dipped in flour.)  Bake at 350 degrees on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper until *golden.

*golden means crispy and slightly brown on the bottom.  Mama's original recipe said to bake for 10 to 12 minutes.  In my oven, which is pretty accurate, I bake them about 20 to 25 minutes.  If they aren't baked long enough, they aren't crispy and not as tasty.  So leave those suckers in there and you'll have the perfect appetizer for a New Year's Eve party, friend gift, or any other event that may require finger food.

Mary at Deep South Dish (y'all have been there by now, right?) adds a dash of garlic powder and black pepper to hers. She also specifies White Lily brand flour, but I'm sure y'all know that goes without saying.



I used them for neighbor and friend gifts this Christmas. I think I'll make one more batch before 2015 and the year of the fit bit!

No comments:

Post a Comment