Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Afterschool Special

What a week we've had!  Soccer and baseball, piano and choir and church services and youth groups add up to lots of miles - and time in the car.  That's time that doesn't get devoted to cooking.  A lot of times we go to Chic-Fil-A or our favorite Mexican restaurant.  I decided this week that at least the three of us could sit down together after school... and why not make it special?



My Grandaddy J.R. loved a Coke float.  We had them often at his house.
I wondered if my children had ever had one.
"Is this a Coke smoothie", Julia asked? 
 Yes, times have changed!!

I have a love for all things "50's".
How could you not when you grew up watching...      



I've hosted a "Fifties Birthday" for Mama.



... and I made Julia a fifties sock hop costume for Halloween a couple of years ago.





When the Cricut cartridge, Nifty Fifties, was released this year, I knew that I could have some fun with it.  I thought these cards were cute, 
but John never noticed his in his haste to get to the cookies.



Julia liked hers.  
Isn't that what she was really saying when she said, 
"Seriously, Mom..." ?




Forget the cards, forget the tablescape... they loved the cookies!
They are the best chocolate chip cookies ever!

And... I will share the recipe! They are from The Blue Willow Inn Cookbook
and they are superb.  Vanilla pudding is the secret, I think.

Melanie's Chocolate Chip Cookies

2 1/4 cup all purpose flour                                                      
1 tsp baking soda                                                                   
1 tsp salt                                                                                 
2 eggs                                                                                    
2 sticks butter, MELTED                                                       
chopped pecans, optional   
3/4 cup packed brown sugar   
1/4 cup granulated sugar  
1 package instant vanilla pudding            
1 tsp vanilla
12 oz chocolate chips
Reese's Pieces, optional
Combine flour, soda and salt in bowl and set aside.

In separate bowl, combine eggs and butter.  Mix with electric mixer until creamy.

Add sugars, vanilla and instant pudding.  Mix well.

Slowly add flour mixture.  Mix well.  Fold in chocolate chips.

Drop by heaping teaspoons onto ungreased cookie sheet 3 inches apart.  Bake at 375 degrees for 8 to 10 minutes.


Just yum...



Placemats - The Dollar Tree, Red banded Melamine plates - Wal Mart;
"Milkshake" glasses by Libby - online
Runner - thrifted at Goodwill
Coca Cola straw dispenser and Crosley Radio - ebay
Cookie plate - European Country from Pier 1
Cake dome - Target









For Archie, every time the children step off the bus, 
it's An After School Special.


9 comments:

  1. Lovely cute post. All pics are so bright and beautiful:)

    Hope to see you on my blog:)

    Sanghamitra.
    http://rainbow-thecoloursofindia.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute blog. Great pics. Thank you for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment. I so appreciate it. I hope you are ok. I see where there have been some really bad weather in the south. Hope you will come by again. Hugs, Karie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Christa! OH, what a cute post! I love the 50s things too since I'm a 1951 model! ;)
    I see you live in the south. I hope everything is okay in your area. I'm from Fort Payne, Alabama and they had some pretty bad hits yesterday.
    Thanks so much for popping in to see me and
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very good blog! I thoroughly enjoyed it.
    Nan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Christa, Archie is so like our family pet of yore. I love the birthday party for your mom. That was my time for real. Great time for raising families. I think your interpretation is so great. Love the placemats. Don't you just love dollar tree. I was just looking at them online. Did you know you can order some of the neat dishes and glasses on line. Have them sent to your store for $5.00. My friends and I do that then share the box of 24 items. That we guarantee getting some of the cuter items. .
    Thanks for networking my blog. I am still not sure what that does. I hope it is good.
    As for the amaryllis. I really don't know. I have moved them to three different houses. I keep them in the sun. The area gets lots of water but also drains well. I don't remember seeing them growing in Atlanta. My MIL lived there so I guess they must have I just don't remember. Only thing I can think of is more water? Good luck.
    I forgot to tell you how much I love Julia's costume. Hugs, Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  6. Christa, I am following. I really thought I already did. Hugs, Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed watching The Fonze and Happy Days! It was such a simple time then. What a great idea for a tablescape. I am your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh how cute! I love all of your vintage looking restaurant items. That H'ween outfit is absolutely adorable. And Archie stole my heart ~ what a cutie! Thanks for sharing the recipe for those cookies~YUM! laurie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Leave it to me to be late to the party.
    This is so cute and fun and makes me miss the good old days of having kids at home.

    I would love a Cricut. I'm trying to convince my mother and sister to share one with me because I'm so cheap. You can do the cutest things with them.

    ReplyDelete